Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #1) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the Aubrey/Maturin Novels series.
- #2: Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #2) (Paperback): $16.95
- #3: H. M. S. Surprise (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #3) (Paperback): $15.95
- #4: The Mauritius Command (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #4) (Paperback): $15.95
- #5: Desolation Island (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #5) (Paperback): $15.95
- #6: The Fortune of War (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #6) (Paperback): $15.95
- #7: The Surgeon's Mate (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #7) (Paperback): $15.95
- #8: The Ionian Mission (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #8) (Paperback): $15.95
- #9: Treason's Harbour (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #9) (Hardcover): $50.00
- #10: The Far Side of the World (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #10) (Hardcover): $27.60
- #11: The Reverse of the Medal (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #11) (Paperback): $15.95
- #12: The Letter of Marque (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #12) (Paperback): $15.95
- #13: The Thirteen Gun Salute (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #13) (Paperback): Email or call for price
- #14: The Nutmeg of Consolation (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #14) (Paperback): $15.95
- #15: The Truelove (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #15) (Paperback): $15.95
- #16: The Wine-Dark Sea (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #16) (Paperback): $15.95
- #17: The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #17) (Paperback): $15.95
- #18: The Yellow Admiral (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #18) (Paperback): $15.95
- #19: The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #19) (Paperback): $15.95
- #20: Blue at the Mizzen (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #20) (Paperback): $15.95
- #21: 21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #21) (Paperback): $18.95
This is the first of twenty addictive historical novels centered around a compelling pair of protagonists named Jack Aubrey and Steven Maturin. In this book, set primarily in the western Mediterranean, we find Jack getting his first command in England's early nineteenth century navy and meeting the friend that will follow him through many adventures. The decidedly un-seaman-like Steven Maturin is a genius of many talents.— Chris
The beginning of the sweeping Aubrey-Maturin series. "The best sea story I have ever read."—Sir Francis Chichester
This, the first in the splendid series of Jack Aubrey novels, establishes the friendship between Captain Aubrey, R.N., and Stephen Maturin, ship's surgeon and intelligence agent, against a thrilling backdrop of the Napoleonic wars. Details of a life aboard a man-of-war in Nelson's navy are faultlessly rendered: the conversational idiom of the officers in the ward room and the men on the lower deck, the food, the floggings, the mysteries of the wind and the rigging, and the roar of broadsides as the great ships close in battle.
About the Author
One of our greatest contemporary novelists, Patrick O’Brian is the author of the twenty volumes of the best-selling Aubrey/Maturin series, as well as many other books, including Testimonies, The Golden Ocean, The Unknown Shore, and biographies of Joseph Banks and Picasso.
My hero is Patrick O'Brian…I read all of his books many, many times. I’ve read them so many times I can’t read them anymore because eventually you know the whole book by heart.
— David Mamet - New York Magazine
The best historical novels ever written.
— Richard Snow - New York Times Book Review
Taken as a whole, the Aubrey-Maturin novels are by a long shot the best things of their kind…they are uniquely excellent.
— Terry Teachout - New York Times Book Review
There are two types of people in the world: Patrick O’Brian fans, and people who haven’t read him yet.
— Lucy Eyre - The Guardian
[The series shows] a joy in language that jumps from every page…you're in for a wonderful voyage.
— Cutler Durkee - People
One does not get many pages into the Aubrey-Maturin sequence before falling under the spell of O'Brian's prose, which is…elegantly paced, quietly witty.
— Katherine A. Powers - The Atlantic
If Jane Austen had written rousing sea yarns, she would have produced something very close to the prose of Patrick O'Brian.
O'Brian is a novelist, pure and simple, one of the best we have.
— Los Angeles Times Book Review
I prefer the Aubrey-Maturin series to all others, even Holmes-Watson. Every book is packed to absolute straining with erudition, wit, history, and thunderous action.
— Joe Hill
We've partnered with Libro.fm to bring you a top-notch option for digital audiobooks. Take a look at our large catalog of recorded books at https://libro.fm/citylightsnc